Help; I Need Special Consideration

You can apply for this if you think that your academic performance was seriously affected by illness or other extenuating circumstances (e.g. sudden changes in living circumstances, death of a family member, recent traumatic experience, serious relationship conflict etc).

Special Consideration allows things like getting an extension for an assignment or deferring exams.

To apply for this, contact the Associate Dean (Student Affairs) or Manager (Student Affairs) before or no later than 3 days after an exam. Remember to include a medical certificate or other written report explaining your situation. It is also a good idea to inform your unit coordinator of what is going on.

If you think there might be the slightest possibility that you may need Special Consideration, apply for it! If you see a potential obstacle coming up, even if you think you will be able to overcome it, talk to the Associate Dean (Student Affairs) and your Sub-Dean/Unit Coordinator anyway! It doesn’t hurt to have the Special Consideration form there, just in case, and it is much easier if the Faculty is aware of the situation early on and nothing happens, than if things don’t go as planned and it needs to be organised on short notice.

For more information about Special Consideration and to find the form, see here: