In the 1950s, UWA formed a Medical School Appeal Committee, which formalised the campaign and put fundraising and advocacy efforts into full swing. Various public appeals were held, with funds raised from the 1955 UWA procession (PROSH) being dedicated to funding a medical school at UWA.
The appeal was a huge success. With a population of only 640,000 people, the community raised the equivalent of what today would be over 30 million to fund the school.
In 1956, the efforts of the Medical Students Society and the Medical School Appeal Fund are successful - and the UWA medical school opens in 1957!